Monday, October 8, 2012

For humans, safe zones aren’t so safe: Rules of warfare contested


Victoria Holman narrowly escaped a zombie attack at 11:30 a.m. Monday outside of Utah State University’s Taggart Student Center. She thought she was in a designated safe zone.

“I was on my way to class and a zombie came out of nowhere,” said Holman, who was traveling alone.

Holman, like many among the living and undead alike, expressed confusion Monday over the rules of engagement for human-zombie warfare, set forth by the Leagues of Supernatural Nations in the Goucher Accord of 2005.

According the accord, on-campus buildings are allocated as safe havens for humans seeking protection. However, as the number of zombies increase, humans are finding it harder to stay alive even in designated safe zone areas.

“I am always on the look out for zombies, but I didn’t think I would be attacked in a safe zone,” Holman said. “Now I have to be aware of zombie attacks even in buildings where I am supposed to be safe.”

The Goucher rules are meant to maintain fairness to both zombies and humans in the event of war. However, disputes often arise due to unclear definitions of what a safe zone is.

“I thought the TSC patio was a refuge from ultimate human extinction,” Holman said. 

Despite this common belief among humans, many zombies have disagreed, noting their belief that only areas inside of buildings as off limits under the rules of warfare.

Some humans believe the Goucher rules are outdated and should be rewritten to specify where safe zones begin.

“I don’t want to have to feel uneasy everywhere I go,” said human Danielle Fawcet. “They call it a safe zone for a reason.”

Once humans venture outside safe zone lines, they become vulnerable to enemy attacks. The most prevalent attacks occur between USU class sessions, according to zombie Death Capt. John Gillespie.

“Zombies have the advantage, because we have nothing to fear and there are more of us,” Gillespie said. “We have alliances formed all throughout campus.”

Though Holman knows the chances of survival as a human are slim, she wants to stay alive as long as possible.

“I don’t want them to attack me,” she said. “I want to at least survive three days, that’s my goal.”

UnDeadline reporters Natalie Thatcher, Jonathan Larson, Kellianne Smith and Erin Davies contributed to this report.