Tuesday, November 5, 2013

‘Door crashing’ proves fatal for humans

A zombie waits for human prey on the campus of Utah State University on Tuesday.    
At 11:41 a.m. today, three zombies waited outside the Health, Physical Education and Recreation building on the Utah State University campus in what anti-zombie militia members are calling a "door crash."

The ambush proved fatal for Brandon Davis, who had been a key fighter for the humans during the early hours of the war against the undead.

The zombie army has been gaining in numbers on the strength of similarly planned attacks like the door crash, a tactical approach to infecting humans that entails a decoy. 

In such ambushes, zombies station themselves outside of a safe zone, act as if they are scared of the approaching human’s stun orbs and proclaim vocally that they won’t attack. As soon as the human is close enough to the entry of the building, an infected zombie runs out of the door and proceeds to being the gnawing of human flesh that spreads the undead virus. 

Acting as the distraction, zombie Kenzie Crapo waited for Davis to approach her. 

Crapo later said she had hoped to hold onto what she called a “beautiful life” prior to the attack that claimed her own mortal life. 

“I stayed up until one in the morning because I was so anxious," Crapo said. "I thought I would last longer than I did... now, I have helped kill three humans by being a decoy.”

At least 23 other humans had succumbed to the virus early Tuesday. Like the rest, 
Crapo said she now cannot resist her desire for human flesh.

Not all humans have resisted the plague.

James Kelmer voluntarily accepted the zombie virus as part of the initial outbreak. 

“I understood that the virus was inevitably going to take over the humans," Kelmer said. "I asked myself, ‘why should I fight for a losing team?’ So I didn’t bother running or hiding, I accepted my fate.” 

Kelmer expressed pride in his infection. 

“I have already killed five humans. As of right now, I am the Most Valuable Zombie,” he said.
Many zombies have begun treating the destruction of the human race as a sport and are awarding one another titles such as "MVZ."

The infected are staying connected and updated about the location of humans by use of text messaging and cell phones — a technological advantage some humans were not expecting, given the undead reputation for brainlessness.   

UnDeadline reporters Branson Smith, Bennett Purser, Mina Sayer, William Christensen, and Elisabeth Gee contributed to this report.