Friday, October 12, 2012

Lone soldier lives to tell the horrors of zombie war


Cameron Alpers sprinted into the Utah State University Junction at 9:25 p.m. Thursday night, out of breath and alone.
“I can’t believe I made it,” said Alpers, who wore only running shoes, red shorts and a large Texas flag draped over his shoulders. “My adrenalin is pumping.”
Out of 707 humans who began the war Alpers was the only survivor.
“I started the mission in a group of 14 humans,” Alpers said. “It was a sprint the entire way. I never stopped.”
Throughout the week, many humans had a strategy of staying together to defend against The Horde.
Plans changed on Thursday, though.
“It was every human for themselves tonight,” Alpers said. “You couldn’t worry about your friends. I did what I thought was best for myself.”
With blood dripping down his cheek from taking a gun to his face during the final battle, Alpers knew luck was on his side.
“Along the way I could hear human screams,” Alpers said. “I could hear The Horde crushing the human skulls as they gobbled up the brains.”
One of those screams came from James Merrill, who started the night in the same human group as Alpers.
“I was running right next to Cameron in the shadows by The University Inn,” Merrill said. “The next thing I know I am on the ground getting eaten alive. It’s amazing Cameron made it through. I didn’t think anyone would.”
Alpers did his best to block out the horrific images he saw along the way.
“I am out of bullets, I have no grenades left but I made it,” Alpers said. “The zombies are brutal. They won’t give you anything. I had to earn this.”
Not even those who hunted him could deny the feat he had accomplished.
“He watched his friends die as he sprinted through hell,” said Omega, a zombie captain with bits of human flesh stuck in his teeth. “I give the guy mad props.”
Although Solomon, who previously was a human leader, was now part of The Horde, he couldn’t help but feel proud to see a former comrade survive.
“That kid is a stud. He rocked it going through,” said Solomon, who had oozing claw marks gashed in his face. “With that many zombies you have to be fast to make it and he was.”
While Alpers survived the battle, he realizes the war is far from over.
“I don’t know what is next. There’s no one left to fight and I am the only survivor,” Alpers said. “I am not going to live in fear anymore; it will be nice being able to walk around without being paranoid. But I’ll be back with reinforcements to make another stand.”
UnDeadline reporters Michael Royer, Becca Golver, Paul Christiansen, Jessica Wardell and Joseph Meadows contributed to this report.