Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Friendship or hunger? Zombies must choose


As the population of zombies continues to surge, the undead are facing an increasingly difficult choice between feasting on brains and honoring friendships.
“It gets pretty confusing at times because we want our buddy Chase to survive,” zombie Ethan Ackerman said. “But the need to feed is so strong. Plus his brains would taste so sweet.”
Ackerman, who turned zombie two days ago, formed a human alliance with friend Chase Madrigal. In the alliance, which was pledged by blood, the friends agreed the sanctity of human life would be protected in case of a zombie transformation.  
However, since Ackerman became a zombie his views have changed.
“I would be really stoked if he was a zombie with me and we could go hunt together,” Ackerman said.
Now Ackerman craves human brains and the opportunity to personally initiate Madrigal into the zombie pack. “I think Chase would respect that more,” Ackerman said.
Although Madrigal contemplates zombie transformation, he believes his friend will remain true to the alliance.
“I don’t think they would be dicks enough to follow me around,” Madrigal said. “But if anyone transformed me I would want it to be my friends.”
Like Ackermen, zombie Marisa Rich devoted her allegiance to the zombie pack. She said her burning desire for human flesh breaks the bonds of former alliances.
“I want to eat them, but I want to protect them,” Rich said. “Usually I just can’t resist.”
Some humans have become paranoid that their former allies will use their own strategies against them.
“Since all my friends are zombies now, they are probably going to come after me,” said Richard Webster, a human. “They know where I am and they know how I work.”
Abandoned and left to survive on his own, human Jacob Ehle also has become skeptical — even of his closest friends.
“When it comes down to it, zombies will look after themselves,” Ehle said. “I would do the same thing.” 
UnDeadline reporters Natalie Thatcher, Jonathan Larson, Kellianne Smith and Erin Davies contributed to this report.