Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fight or flight? Humans debate best apporach to dealing with zombie horde

-->
With every passing hour Ryan Wallentine’s chances of survival are dwindling.
But Wallentine, a human in the zombie apocalypse that has taken over Utah State University’s campus, has a plan to survive. And he’s not alone.
Humans are using a variety of tactics to stay alive. Some stay indoors and hide from the conflict. Others prefer direct confrontation to fight off the zombies.
After hearing rumors of the zombie uprising, Wallentine joined the human forces to fight against the undead.
“I was walking around campus and heard that the end was near, that the zombies were coming,” he said. “Naturally I was a little concerned.”
But when the bloodletting began, Wallentine’s response was more flight, less fight.
“I’ve just tried to avoid and starve the zombies,” said Wallentine, who does not carry weapons or seek out zombies to fight like many of his fellow humans. “I don’t go around asking for it. Some people carry around giant guns that just call ‘come and kill me.’ ” 
Jake Hadley, another surviving human, prefers a different approach.
 “It’s more of an advantage to have the guns rather than lay low,” he said. “My guns just saved me two minutes ago. Without them I would be a zombie right now.”  
Craig Poulsen, who led a battle against the zombies, agreed with Hadley. He felt that direct confrontation with the zombies was a better tactic. 
His method was tested in a battle outside the library when he faced a horde of more than 40 zombies. “I feel like I have a good chance of survival,” Poulsen said moments before he was turned undead.
Wallentine’s plan to avoid the zombies rather than confront them had kept him alive through Wednesday morning, though it hasn’t prevented all encounters with the undead.
“On Tuesday I was leaving the Business Building and saw two zombies coming so I ran to a parking lot,” he said. “But then two other zombies came out from behind a car and another from the Engineering Building. Luckily I managed to get to Merrill Hall in time.”
Wallentine’s biggest concern is that the zombies will collaborate with each other to ambush him. “There is definitely some paranoia,” he said. “I’m looking over my shoulders all the time.”
Wallentine advises other humans to be on the lookout. “Stay alert,” he said. “If you see a zombie, either be a really good shot or run like hell.” 
The zombie numbers are growing each day. Tuesday night the zombie horde totaled 229 undead. Wednesday morning its numbers had grown to 298.
“It’s exciting for me, there are a lot more zombies now,” Wallentine said. “I’m pretty darn sure it’s going to get harder and harder but it’ll make my job more interesting.” 
UnDeadline reporters Sarah Menlove, Bradley Wells, Christopher Farnes, Hannah Romney, Ronald Henline
 contributed to this article.