Tuesday, October 9, 2012

As first day of war comes to a close, zombies feeling confident


As the human-zombie war entered its first twilight at Utah State University, zombie confidence was high.

Still, zombie Death Capt. Marlee Haywood wasn’t taking any chances.

“Because the group of humans is so big, we split up into different groups to be more effective on the attack,” Haywood said as she stared across The Quad at a large group of human combatants.


Bystanders scattered as the horde limped onto the field, their rotting flesh fouling the air. Some despairing souls, including as Andrew Nickerson, stayed to let themselves be taken.

"I've given up hope,” Nickerson said. “I don't feel that resistance to the zombie horde is worth the effort. I've already given up on my life. If and when I become a zombie, it is my fate."

Though not yet ready to give up, human resistance member Tyler Glazier felt the zombies were clearly more of a threat than he once assumed.

“I’ve been hiding out in buildings trying to stay away from zombies,” he said, his eyes constantly darting from side to side as ammunition shredded the air above the blood-strewn battlefield.

Sgt. Tony Edwards contended there is nothing for humans like himself to fear.

“When I see zombies in between classes I go extremely into tactical mode. I don’t get scared,” said Edwards. “I see which ones to take out and which I can’t and whether to engage or to run.”

But even Edwards feels it’s important, at this point, to play it safe.

“My thought is survival,” he said. “Stay alive. Get out there. Get with the groups. Don’t roam alone and don’t let the zombies get me — just survive."

UnDeadline reporters Ryan Gudmunson, Blake DeVries, Kyle Heywood, Addison Hall, Brooklin Peterson and Tavin Stucki contributed to this report.  

>>Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly identified Jeremy Baker's supernatural status. Baker is a human. UnDeadline regrets the error.