Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Humans losing ground, zombies evolving, fresh blood everywhere

The zombie chant echoed across the Utah State University campus:

“Never shall we die. Never shall we die. Never shall we die.”

Members of the human resistance can’t say the same. In fewer than 24 hours, the number of undead roaming the school grounds has soared.

Shrieking screams could be heard periodically throughout the day around the university grounds. The screams signaled the demise of a human killed by the relentless chase of the zombies.

“I was killed this morning,” Kara Schoneman said. “Walking to my first class I was ambushed by four zombies. It was such a surprise I didn’t have time to react. Before I knew what happened my body was being tore apart by these savage beasts.”

The killing strategies of the Horde differ.

“I hunt alone,” Khris Luthy said. “These humans are terrified of the Horde, they are running scared all the time. Hunting alone is a challenge; you have to always know your next move. If you are careless you will be shot by the humans.”

“I have three kills already today,” Luthy said, as blood from his last victim dripped from his chin. “I am never satisfied. I always want more blood and brains.”

While zombies like Luthy prefer to hunt alone, others in the Horde work together.

“Hunting together works as a distraction,” said Brice Colby, the original zombie. “When we hunt as a group humans don’t stand a chance. We get them cornered, ambush them and feast on their souls.”

A group of 12 zombies ambushed Ian Neil yesterday at 10 a.m. outside Mountain View Tower dormitory.

“I was trapped with no escape,” Neil said. “I tried to fight back but it was useless.”

Now that Neil is a part of the zombie Horde, he is being taught one of many strategies used to mercilessly kill humans.

“It’s called the hammer strategy. We line up either two by two or three by three depending on the amount of zombies in our group. The front line of the group serves as the shield,” Neil said. “After the front line goes down, the humans are in such disarray they don’t know what to do. The second line goes in and finishes them off.”

Along with the growing number, zombies are evolving.

“Solomon and Fate, the two human leaders, have been experimenting with chemicals to use against the zombies,” said Queen Lazara, one of the zombie leaders.
But this method had the opposite effect.

“The zombies’ animalistic tendencies were amplified. We have elephants, we have gazelles, we have monkeys, we have one chameleon,” Lazara said. “We also have crabs.”
Each evolved zombie has a different animal characteristic. The elephants, for instance, are bulletproof.

“I am immune to artillery fire,” said Taime Yazzie, an elephant-type zombie. “I’m going to be feasting on brains all night long.”

The crabs have a hardened hide on their backs, protecting them from attacks.

“If I get shot in the back, it doesn’t affect me,” said Robert Hansen, a crab breed of the undead. “My belly is going to be full of human innards. I’m ready to eat.”

As of 10:21 p.m. there were 221 zombies reported by the League of Supernatural Nations.
With an undead increase of 69 percent in the last 24 hours, the humans are losing ground.

“Zombies are everywhere,” said Jesse Victors, member of the Horde. “No one can hide.”

UnDeadline reporters Michael Royer, Becca Glover, Paul Christiansen, Jessica Wardell and Joseph Meadows contributed to this report.