Tuesday, October 9, 2012

With war all around, immune students carry on


-->
Not everyone is at war.

In the midst of the zombie apocalypse, many Utah State University students have found they are immune from attack.

Brian Isom, a business major from Knoxville, Tenn., is taking advantage of his safe status by taunting the undead.

“I thought it would be clever to attack the zombies,” Isom said.

Isom and his friends plan to take action Wednesday at 4 p.m. on The Quad where the zombies meet for daily missions.

“We are making water balloon launchers,” Isom said. “We’ll find the zombies at The Quad and attack them.”

Unlike Isom, other immune students are simply trying to avoid the apocalypse altogether.

“I’m not scared of them, I just don’t want to be around them,” said Trent Morrison, senator of College of Humanities and Social Sciences. “As a student leader, I would rather see USU students focus on studies and student involvement. Getting attacked by a zombie is a huge distraction.”

Some, though, find that sort of attitude to be uncompassionate.

“Well, that’s certainly easy for that guy to say,” said Trevor McLewis of the Human-Zombie Equal Rights Association. “He doesn’t have to worry about his brain, nor does he have to worry about starving from a lack of brains. I guess that just makes it easy to pass judgment.”

Zombie Death Capt. John Gillespie also has a poor opinion of the invulnerable humans.

“They are cowards — dirty rotten cowards who are waiting around. The second they enter the apocalypse I will get them,” Gillespie said.

Isom doesn’t feel threatened, though.

“If they touch me, I’m immune,” Isom said. “I have about 500 water balloons and I could not be more prepared.”

UnDeadline reporters Kori Slager, Aimee Cobabe, Heidi Smith, Stefani Lewis and Cory Checketts contributed to this report.